“Anime: Case Closed
Appearance: Episodes 106 and 107
Time: 1 hour and ½
Serving: Depends on how large you slice the pie
I attempted to make this a long while back and it just did not come out right. This time it did and it was REALLY good. There is a strong citrus flavor to it so if you want to cut through that you can serve this with something basic like ice cream! I just ate it all on it’s own. I usually dont make my own crust because I just lately dont have much time so I buy it but, Serious eats, Ina Gartner, and Alton Brown all have really good recipes if you want to make it from scratch. As an aside if you are like me and make your own stock save the lemons and put them in a freezer bag until you make stock and add them in they really enhance the stock flavor
2 pic crusts
6 small to medium lemons
6 egg yolks
1 cup of sugar
12 tablespoons of butter cut into pieces
pinch of salt
1. Zest the lemons into a small bow. Strain the lemon juice and add to the bowl with the zest.
2. In a heavy noncorroding saucepan, beat the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until mixed. Add the lemon juice and butter.
3. Cook the filling over low to medium heat, until the mixture comes together and thickens enough to coat a spoon. It is important to stir the mixture constantly so that the eggs do not get scrambled and to prevent separation.
4. Once it is thick take it off the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Mix filling prior to adding to the pie crust make sure everything is smooth. You will know it is thick enough when it coats the back of your spoon.
5. preheat the oven to 370 degrees F. Line the pie dish with one of the pie crusts, add the filling and cover with the second pie crust. Make sure to pinch the ends closed.
6. Make slits at the top so steam can escape and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the filling has set. That is it! really easy to make and really yummy.