FEATURE: Cooking With Anime – Excited to BBQ this 4th of July? Liven up your table with an anime-inspired barbecue! As seen in anime like Haikyu!!, Silver Spoon, and more! – http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/06/28-1/excited-to-bbq-this-4th-of-july-liven-up-your-table-with-an-anime-inspired-barbecue-as-seen-in-anime-like-haikyu-silver-spoon-and-more
“Ingredients for Yakiniku (Korean BBQ):
The Meat + Veggies:
Thinly sliced beef that is a nice cut, such a rib eye or sirloin. I also like short ribs, and use some here. Most Asian supermarkets will have thinly sliced meat, or meat specially labeled for BBQ- check the frozen food section if they don’t have anything fresh!
Fresh corn, shucked
Fresh zucchini, sliced for the grill
Shiitake mushrooms, cleaned
Really any kind of veggies you want.
The Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp mirin
1 1/2 tbsp sake
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp awase or shiro miso
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp grated garlic
a few dashes of Togarashi, or another chili spice
To Make Yakiniku:
1. Combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer and reduce slightly, taste the flavors, adjust any flavors, and then set aside to cool. Before dining, pour a little into dipping bowls for all the diners.
2. Get your grill going- light your charcoal and allow the coals to come to an even temperature (all charcoals should be grey and very hot by the time you start cooking).
3. Place your wire rack over the grill so that it is cross-hatched. Give it a few minutes to heat up.
4. Then, start grilling! Place vegetables on first, as they’ll take longer to cook. If you’d like spread a little yakiniku sauce on them for flavor. When ready to start eating, lay your meat on the grill so that it is laid flat. This will make sure the meat cooks evenly. Turn over once, halfway through cooking. Depending on the thickness and type of your meat, each side with require about 1-2 minutes of cooking. If cooking short ribs, leave on for a minute or two longer. If cooking chicken or pork, be careful to make sure it’s fully cooked before removing it from the grill.
4. As meat finishes cooking, pile it up on a plate and let your friends dig in. Make sure to save some for yourself! If you’re sitting around a grill, your friends can just pull meat off as it finishes cooking and eat.
Ingredients for Japanese Style Potato Salad
This recipe adapted from here.
2 pounds of gold potatos, peeled and cut into pieces
2 mini cucumbers
1/8 of a red onion
1 boiled egg
1 cup Japanese mayo
1 tbsp rice vinegar
To Make Japanese Potato Salad:
1. Boil potatos and carrot until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Thinly slice the cucumber, put in a bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
3. Dice the onion. Mince the egg. When carrot is done, halve it lengthwise and cut half moons.
4. When potato is done, mash until it is almost smooth, with just a few chunks of potato left.
5. Wring the water out of the cucumbers. Add the cucumber to the mashed potato. Add the egg, onion, and carrots. Stir to combine.
6. Add the mayo and vinegar. Stir to combine. Taste, season with additional salt or mayo as needed.
7. Set aside in fridge until ready.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Check in next week for another recipe. To check out more anime food recipes, visit my blog. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below! I recently got a Twitter, so you can follow me at @yumpenguinsnack if you would like, and DEFINITELY feel free to send me food requests! My tumblr is yumpenguinsnacks.tumblr.com. Find me on Youtube for more video tutorials! Enjoy the food, and if you decide to recreate this dish, show me pics! 😀“