FEATURE: Cooking With Anime – Somehow, tofu tastes good?!? Only in “Restaurant to Another World” – http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/08/09-1/somehow-tofu-tastes-good-only-in-restaurant-to-another-world
“Ingredients for the Tofu Steak:
Ponzu Sauce (adapted from here)
2/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (about 3 limes)
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 inch piece of konbu
1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
To Make the Tofu Steak:
1. Start with the ponzu! Combine all ingredients together and set aside for at least 2 hours.
2. Once ponzu has had time to sit, split tofu blocks into four pieces. I did this by halving the whole block so it was about 1/2 inch thick, and then halving those pieces again.
3. Pat dry, season with salt on all sides, and place a heavy plate on top of the tofu. Prop up so one end is slanted down, and let the tofu drain, about 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, grate daikon using a daikon grater or a cheese grater. Roll up perilla leaves and cut thinly in a chiffonade.
5. Pat tofu dry again, season with salt again, and sprinkle cornstarch on each side.
6. Heat oil over medium high. When ready, fry the tofu, about 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown all over. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Plate with potatoes, carrots, and spinach. Garnish tofu steak with daikon, a spoonful of ponzu, and a sprinkling of perilla leaves.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Check in next week for another recipe. To check out more anime food recipes, visit my blog. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below! I recently got a Twitter, so you can follow me at @yumpenguinsnack if you would like, and DEFINITELY feel free to send me food requests! My Tumblr is yumpenguinsnacks.tumblr.com. Find me on Youtube for more video tutorials! Enjoy the food, and if you decide to recreate this dish, show me pics! 😀”