FEATURE: Cooking With Anime – Go Full Zombie for This Soup from “Clean Freak! Aoyama kun” – http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/08/16/go-full-zombie-for-this-soup-from-clean-freak-aoyama-kun
“Ingredients for the Tonjiru / Butajiru / Pork Soup:
5 cups dashi stock
1 cup sake
1/2 pound bacon
1 tsp minced or ground ginger
1 5 inch piece of daikon
1 block konnyaku
5 tbsp awase miso (go for less if you don’t like it as salty)
To Make the Tonjiru:
1. Chop veggies, konnyaku, and bacon into bite sized pieces. Thinly slice the whites of the leek – throw away the green part.
2. Cook bacon in a pot on medium high. Add ginger in halfway through cooking.
3. Remove bacon when done, and remove some of the grease.
4. Sautee the hard veggies (potato, carrot, daikon) lightly. Add in the sake.
5. After a few minutes, add in the konnyaku, bacon, and dashi stock. Allow to come almost to a boil, and strain off any scum that floats to the top.
6. Cover and let simmer about 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
7. Lower heat to medium low, and siphon off some broth to a bowl containing your miso. Mix the two well together, and then add the miso back to the pot.
8. Stir through. Serve while hot, but don’t bring it back to a boil (it’ll alter the flavor of the miso.) Garnish with thinly sliced leeks.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Check in next week for another recipe. To check out more anime food recipes, visit my blog. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below! I recently got a Twitter, so you can follow me at @yumpenguinsnack if you would like, and DEFINITELY feel free to send me food requests! My Tumblr is yumpenguinsnacks.tumblr.com. Find me on Youtube for more video tutorials! Enjoy the food, and if you decide to recreate this dish, show me pics! 😀”