Gourmet Girl Graffiti Japanese Potato Salad Recipe
5 Red Potatoes – texture is much creamier than Russet
1/4 cup Cucumber -medium dice and prefer English cucumber
1/2 cup Ham – thinly sliced
1/4 cup Carrot – par cooked and thinly sliced
2 TBSP Yellow Onion – minced
1/2 cup Mayonaise
1 TSP Mirin
1 TSP Soy Sauce
1/2 TSP Sugar
Sea Salt to taste
Black Pepper To Taste
1. Steam potatoes until fork tender. Peel while warm and easy to handle then let cool down completely.
2. blanch thinly sliced carrots for about 1 minute. They should be bright orange and still firm.
3. Slice cucumber and season with a little sea salt. This allows excess water to draw out. Dry with paper towel or tea towel.
4. Thinly slice deli ham. If you are vegetarian like I am you can use an alternative or skip this step.
5. Gently chop potatoes and add to a mixing bowl then place remainder of ingredients and fold gently.
6. Season with salt and fresh black pepper. Cover with cling wrap and let chill in the fridge. Best if you leave overnight but wait at least a few hours before serving.
* It is important to allow potatoes to cool down completely before making potato salad to avoid food-born illnesses!
*Recipes are guidelines. Feel free to add more or less of any ingredient for this recipe”