Brick French Toast – https://www.buzzfeed.com/jodyduits/7-japanese-desserts-from-tasty-japan
Brick French Toast
½ loaf of unsliced white bread
1 cup milk (200 milliliters)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, milk, and sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Cut out the inside of the bread: with a knife, cut into the loaf, about ½ inch away from the edge until you’re just about to the bottom. DO NOT CUT THROUGH. Cut all sides.
- Place the loaf on its side and ½ inch away from the bottom, make one slit through the bread without cutting through the other side.
- Gently pull out the cube you just cut. There will now be the inner loaf and the outer piece.
- Cut the inner loaf into small cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside with the egg mixture.
- Lightly dip each side of the bread and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar.
- For the outer piece, brush the egg wash along the inside, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar to lightly coat the sides.
- Place the cubes and the outer piece on a lightly oiled, parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place cubes into the outer piece and dress it with blueberries, strawberries, ice cream, and maple syrup.